Apples of Sodom (1582)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 20 19:28:21 UTC 2003

   I was looking through Early English Books Online for "toast," or I otherwise wouldn't have found "apples" with "Sodoma."  OED has "Sodom apple" or "Apples of Sodom" from 1615 or later.
   This is not to be inferred that Saddam Hussein coined "the Big Apple."

Author: Bartholomaeus, Anglicus, 13th cent.
Title: Batman vppon Bartholome his booke De proprietatibus rerum, newly corrected, enlarged and amended: with such additions as are requisite, vnto euery seuerall booke: taken foorth of the most approued authors, the like heretofore not translated in English. Profitable for all estates, as well for the benefite of the mind as the bodie. 1582.
Publication date: [1582]
Search results: 1 match in full text
table of contents | view text | add to bookbag
INCIPIT LIBR XV. DE PROVINTIIS. > Of Pentapoli. chap. 120.
• ... nigh to Sodoma, grow the foresaid apples, & be faire to sight, & stinking and bitter in the toast, as the Glose saith sup. 2. Epi. Pet. cap. 2. / Also another Pentapo ...