Glossary of New Mexican Spanish (1934) (part one)

Scott Sadowsky lists at SPANISHTRANSLATOR.ORG
Fri Mar 21 05:03:49 UTC 2003

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>>OED has zero cites from this?
>>I'll post just the food and slang items...OED has 1945 for "tostada" and
>>Merriam-Webster has 1939.  They owe me beans.

If bilingual dictionaries count for these purposes, grab Richard
Percyvall's 1591 _Bibliothecae Hispanicae Pars Altera: Containing a
Dictionarie in Spanish, English and Latine_, and you'll be able to antedate
everything under the sun.

You might also try John Minsheu's 1617 _Vocabularium Hispanicum Latinum et
Anglicum copiossisium, cum nonnullis vocum millibus locupletatum, ac cum
Linguae Hispanica Etymologijs_, as well as John Stevens' 1706 _A New
Spanish and English Dictionary. Collected from the Best Spanish Authors
Both Ancient and Modern_.

These, along with many some sixty other dictionaries, are available on DVD
as part of the _Nuevo Tesoro Lexicográfico de la Lengua Española_, which
you can get here:
<http://www.espasa.com/nuevaweb/ficha_catalogo.asp?cod=6899>.  It's a real
steal at EUR 185.  My only complaint (aside from the somewhat slow and
awkward Java-based interface) is that only the headwords were digitized --
the articles are available only as digital facsimiles.

Cheers,
Scott