FW: Indian Summer, The Smoky Mountains, and pollution

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Mar 23 11:48:55 UTC 2003

Re what Sam Clements (see, the reports of his death WERE greatly
exaggerated!) says below:

1. I don't know earliest usage dates for the Smokies and the Blue Ridge, but
they are on my list of things to try to find out for the US placenames dict
I am working on.  No info on ultimate origins/earliest known use in the
first places I checked -- Harder, Stewart, Hobson.

2. For Indian summer, since it has now come up, I want to throw out to the
lists a theory I have on this -- that, in the same vein as the disparaging
terms using "Dutch" (D. courage, etc.), this TOO is simply a disparaging
term.  The idea is that Indians were thought of as deceptive or fickle by
early white settlers, and so the term arose in reference to a brief period
in the fall when it appears that summer has returned, when in fact it has
not -- the period is merely the last few days of fairly warm daytime temps
before the fall and winter freezing daytime temps begin consistently.

I believe Mencken proposes the above etym in his American Language.  Though
it likely cannot be proven as the origin of the term, it has the "ring of
truth", it seems to me, even though it is not PC.  The early white settlers
never heard of no PC, of course.

So maybe some folks on the lists can bring some more facts forward?  Early
cites, esp. antedatings of the late 1700s, would be great.

Frank Abate