Line cut?

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sun Mar 23 18:33:58 UTC 2003

My interpretation of the joke was that a Southerner (not South Midlander)
who normally monophthongized both 'lion' and 'line' was trying too hard to
make her pronunciation of "line cut" clear, and the exaggeration came out
as [la:@n], which I assume would be Southern for "lion."  So a perhaps
invented "line cut" leads to the gross lion cut on the cat.