Glossary of New Mexican Spanish (1934) (part one)

Jan Ivarsson TransEdit jan.ivarsson at TRANSEDIT.ST
Sun Mar 23 19:54:56 UTC 2003

http://www.didyouknow.cd/spectacles.htm has

"The first mention of actual glasses is found in a 1289 manuscript when a member of the Popozo family wrote: "I am so debilitated by age that without the glasses known as spectacles, I would no longer be able to read or write." In 1306, a monk of Pisa mentioned in a sermon: "It is not yet 20 years since the art of making spectacles, one of the most useful arts on earth, was discovered."

Another quote, http://www.eye.utmem.edu/history/glass.html :

"The first known artistic representation of eyeglasses was painted by Tommaso da Modena in 1352. He did a series of frescoes of brothers busily reading or copying manuscripts. one holds a magnifying glass but another has glasses perched on his nose."