Flad Brod (1792)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 24 04:30:27 UTC 2003

TRAVELS INTO POLAND, RUSSIA, SWEDEN AND DENMARK
by William Coxe
in five volumes
THE FOURTH EDITION
London: T. Cadell
1792

VOLUME FIVE
Pg. 11:  The common food of the peasant is milk, cheese, dried or salted fish, and sometimes, but rarely, flesh or dried meat, oatbread called _flad-brod_, baked in small cakes about the size and thickness of a pancake; it is usually made twice a year.

(OED has 1799 for "flad brod."  This is in the Norway section.  The term is useful to antedate because Norwegian immigrants brought it to places like Minnesota...I could have sworn that I'd looked at this book before, but maybe not...I was trying to find "rutabaga" in the Sweden section.  Don't ask about rutabaga.  When I went to the stacks, volume four on Sweden was missing.  Nothing is easy!--ed.)