Haf and have

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Mar 25 18:09:42 UTC 2003

And in the  case  of "used to," of course, there's also "I'm used to (doing
things a certain way)," which is distinct from both of the others:

1) [ju:zd t@] as in "The knife was used to cut the bread"
2) [justtu~justu~just@]  as in "He's used to that"
3) [just@] as in "I used to think that, too."

True, #2 can be realized identically with #3 as in the example given above,
but not in all environments--e.g., not in "He's used to it".  Conversely,
#3 can't be realized as either [justtu] or [justu] (or [ju:zd t@]).

I remember a high school teacher who was into hypercorrections and spelling
pronunciations saying "...to which you are used."  I'd never heard of
hypercorrections or spelling pronunciations at that time, but I was well
aware of how phony that was.

--On Tuesday, March 25, 2003 12:30 PM -0500 Beverly Flanigan
<flanigan at OHIOU.EDU> wrote:

>  But other lexical chunks like 'useta' and 'sposta' were noted long
> ago by Labov, as I recall.

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu