"Mother of all X"

David Colburn colburn at PEOPLEPC.COM
Tue Mar 25 21:09:55 UTC 2003

Anyone know the origins of the "mother of all" usage that seems so trendy
these days? (Or should I say, Anyone know the mother of all "mother of all"
phrases?)  I wouldn't be surprised if it's been discussed before on this
list, but I don't know how to search for phrases in the archives (when I
try, I end up searching only for the first word in the phrase.).

The current MOAB technically stands for "Massive Ordnance Air Burst," (or
"Air Blast," according to some articles) but the "Mother of All Bombs"
reading isn't a coincidence, and according to what I've read, the reference
to Saddam's "Mother of All Battles" rhetoric in 1991 is also intentional.
But I assume the use of "mother of all" as a modifier goes back much
farther.

Thanks,
David