Embedded (1996)

Imran Ghory imran at BITS.BRIS.AC.UK
Wed Mar 26 21:18:28 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Dave Wilton wrote:
> "...it is entirely up to the units, unit commanders, individual military
> organizations, whether they accept media under what we have started to call
> embedded media terms. That is to say, in these situations, the media
> actually spends some period of time with the unit." Captain Michael
> Doubleday, USN, Deputy Asst. Sec. Def. (Public Affairs), DoD News Briefing,
> Thursday, 9 May 1996,
> http://www.defenselink.mil/news/May1996/t050996_tbrfg050.html

A slightly earlier example from Lexis-Nexis,

"Troops offered reporters the chance of three-day patrols with the
soldiers, a practice gloriously known as "embedded media". Sadly for
reporters with a sense of adventure, the patrols were limited to . . . the
air base." - Emma Daly. The Independent (London). December 29, 1995.

Imran Ghory
--
http://bits.bris.ac.uk/imran