Mayoralty; War Pie; Manzana (bigger)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 29 01:24:12 UTC 2003

MAYORALTY

   NEW YORK SUN, March 28-30, 2003, pg. 4, col. 5:

   City Hall sourced said about 75 employees of the "mayoralty"--as the
878-person staff under Mr. Bloomberg's direct control is called--could be out
of work when the mayor announces his executive budget in mid-April.

WAR PIE

   THE ONION, 27 March-2 April 2003, pg. 1, cols. 3-4:

_Local Mom Whips Up Some_
_Of Her Famous War Pie_

(THE ONION has to be joking.  Who ever heard of chocolate soldiers?--ed.)

MANZANA

   Again, I didn't find this word in a single "Big Apple" citation in the
1920s or 1930s or 1940s.  The bad scholarship goes like this:
   We know that "Big Apple" comes from jazz musicians.  We know that "jazz
musicians" come from New Orleans.  So the "Big Apple" comes from New Orleans.
   "Manzana" seems to make some sense to us, too.  New Orleans is close to
Mexico.  They got it from those Spanish speakers in New Orleans!
   That was the logic 30 years ago, when this was invented.  When I traced
the "Big Apple" to the same New Orleans, some people improperly grafted this
still-hanging-around somewhere "manzana" theory on to my work.
   The stablehand's prior words, "we ain't no bull ring stable," might be
used to support "manzana," but I'd say it doesn't support it at all.  He was
saying that we're not shipping a horse to a cheap place like Havana or
Tijuana, we're going to the big time, New York City.  The second part is more
than likely NOT to involve Spanish.
   My "manzana" post is in the ADS-L archives from this date:

<A HREF="http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0205B&L=ads-l&P=R6021">Item #22477 (13 May 2002 14:28) - Manzana (1870); Chalupa (1892)
</A>From: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Manzana (1870); Chalupa (1892)
Comments: To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

MANZANA

Pg. 87: The word _manzana_, so frequently used at Valencia, signifies "an
assemblage of houses bounded on every side by a street."
In the 1960s, Robert Gold's JAZZ TALK speculated that "the Big Apple" came
from "manzana." There is NOT ONE SINGLE CITATION TO SUPPORT THIS.