"Keep on Truckin'"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 30 15:28:33 UTC 2003

The OED, in one of its weaker entries, has a 1972 first use for the phrase
"keep on trucking."  R. Crumb used it, of course, in Zap #1 (1968).  I am
trying to see how far back it goes in blues music.

The earliest confirmed usage I have found is in the lyrics of Blind Boy
Fuller's 1937 song "Truckin' My Blues Away #2."  Is anyone able to tell me
whether "keep on truckin'" appears in Fuller's original "Truckin' My Blues
Away" (1936), or in any earlier song?  There is said to have been a song
called "Keep on Truckin'," but I don't know the date.

I am aware that Barry Popik posted a 1935 song called "Truckin'" that
includes the words "keep truck, truck, truckin' along!"

Fred Shapiro