Wheat Germ (1880)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 30 23:41:04 UTC 2003

   OED and Merriam-Webster have 1897 for "wheat germ."
   I used to have Kretschmer Wheat Germ Flakes every day, until they no longer were sold at my local store.
   The ad below was in many publications.  The American Periodical Series has it first in the CALIFORNIAN, June 1880, pg. iii, but I can't copy that page like I can with HARPER'S WEEKLY:

Search the Full-Text of Harper's Weekly, 1857-1912
80-10-16
Page 670

VITALIZED PHOS-PHITES
     a Brain and Nerve Food, composed of the
nerve-giving principles of the ox-brain and
wheat-germ -- is very largely prescribed in im-
paired vitality, nervous exhaustion, and weakened digestion. It prevents consumption and all diseases of de-
bility. F. CROSBY , 666 Sixth Avenue, New York. By druggists or mail, $1.