Teen slang/hip-hop lingo in the mainstream

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 31 16:57:49 UTC 2003

You might want to take a look at my  article on this, "Out of the Hood and Into the News: Borrowed Black Verbal Expressions in a Mainstream Newpaper," _American Speech_, Vol. 74, No. 4, Winter 1999, 369-388.
Margaret Lee
 Paul McFedries <mailinglists at LOGOPHILIA.COM> wrote:I'm researching the use of either teen slang or hip-hop lingo in mainstream
contexts such as ads, marketing materials, political speeches, business
correspondence, news articles, op-ed pieces, etc. Examples include last
year's CNN memo requesting that crawl writers use hip-hop slang terms such
as "ill" and "bling-bling," the Budweiser "whassup" ads, and AOL's "phat
sounds to fat pipes" promotion.

Specific examples would be great, as would pointers to papers or articles on
the same or similar topics.

Thanks.

Paul

Margaret G. Lee, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - English and Linguistics
 & University Editor
Department of English
Hampton University, Hampton, VA 23668
(757)727-5769(voice);(757)727-5084(fax);(757)851-5773(home)
e-mail: margaret.lee at hamptonu.edu   or   mlee303 at yahoo.com