German Words 1939-45

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri May 2 19:32:46 UTC 2003

> SNAFU is too much like "snag" or "snarl", so I believe it too
> is bacronymic or borderline-bacronymic. I doubt solid
> documentation exists to confirm or refute my notions.

Does "situation normal" or "S.N." have an existence independent of SNAFU?
The existence of an independent usage would be pretty good evidence that
SNAFU is a pure acronym. (Lack of citations would point to a backronymic
origin, but is less conclusive.) There were "situation reports" or "sitreps"
in WWII, but I've never heard of "situation normal" outside of the acronym.