Chicken Soup (1810); Chicken Noodle Soup (1930)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 3 22:39:11 UTC 2003

"In the United States, recipes for soups containing chicken were published since 1824.  However, the actual term 'chicken soup' was not commonly used until the late nineteenth century."
--SCRIBNER'S ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FOOD AND CULTURE (2003)

   A few "chicken soup" cites for the soul.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
The Medical Repository of Original Essays and Intelligence, Relative to Physic, Surgery, Chemistry, and Natural History (1800, New York; Feb-Apr 1810; Vol. 13, Iss. 4
  An account of yellow fever, as it appeared at Stabroek, in the Colony of Demarary, during the principal part of the years; William Frost; pg. 344, 5 pgs
(Pg. 344, from AN ACCOUNT OF THE YELLOW FEVER...YEARS 1803 AND 1804 by Dr. William Frost:  "Their _diet_, or nourishment, consisted of sago boiled in milk, and sometimes wine was added to the sago; boiled rice, Indian gruel, when meal could be obtained; beef, lamb, veal, or chicken soups, tapioca, salep and the like.")

(BROOKLYN EAGLE)
   22 September 1842, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 2 (taken from N. O. PIC.):
   ...the little French waiter was called up to replenish the bowl a fourth time with _chicken soup_.

(LITERATURE ONLINE)
Briggs, Charles F. (Charles Frederick), 1804-1877 [Author Record]
Bankrupt Stories, Edited by Harry Franco (1843) 244Kb
Found 1 hit:
Main text 241Kb
BOOK III. 1Kb
CHAPTER I. 1Kb
...his eating a bowl of  chicken soup to give him strength....

Judd, Sylvester, 1813-1853 [Author Record]
Richard Edney and the Governor's Family: A Rus-Urban Tale . . . (1850) 934Kb
Found 1 hit:
Main text 925Kb
CHAPTER IX. SUNDAY AND SUNDAY EVENING. 41Kb
...is so much call for  chicken-soup, and nice steaks, and arrow-root,...

(ACCESSIBLE ARCHIVES)
March 2, 1848
THE NATIONAL ERA
Washington, D.C., Vol. II No. 61 p. 33
(...)
"Why, you can have roast beef and plum pudding, but you sha'n't."
"Pshaw! Can I have a cup of coffee, and an egg, and some toast?"
"Yes," said the Doctor, complainingly, "you can have a cup of - rice water, and a soda cracker" -
"Oh, Doctor!" groaned Annie, making a face.
"Or some good - water-gruel."
Annie turned her head away in disgust.
"Or else some excellent - barley-water."
Annie exhibited strong symptoms of hydrophobia.
"Oh, Doctor!" exclaimed she, "can you give me nothing but a choice among the different preparation of - water? Can't I have a little << chicken soup>> ?"
"Not for a day or two to come, my child."

March, 1861
Godey's Lady's Book
Philadelphia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Vol LXII Page 265
SOUPS.
(...)
<< CHICKEN SOUP>> . Cut up a large fowl, and boil it well in milk and water, thicken with cream, butter, and flour. Add vegetables of different kinds cut in small pieces, such as potatoes, turnips, the heart of cabbage, one or two onions, celery, etc., with thyme, parsley, Cayenne or black pepper, and mace. Boil all together, and just before you dish it add wine, or a little lemon-juice, and salt to your taste.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
  Display Ad 23 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; May 11, 1930; pg. S6, 1 pgs
("Chicken noodle soup" is in the "SUNDAY DINNER" served at The Broadmoor Silver Grill, 3601 Connecticut Avenue, at Porter Street.  There are many other hits in 1930 ads, starting with this one--ed.)

(NORTH AMERICAN WOMEN'S LETTERS AND DIARIES)
1. Lee, Anna Maria Pittman. "Letter from Anna Maria Lee, August 10, 1836"
[Page 129 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
for contemplation. I have just finished Mrs. Judson's memoirs her trials were severe her reward will be richer in Heaven. may I imitate her.------ Sept. 10. To day we were furnished with a beautiful dinner it is Dr. White's wedding day. our first course was Chicken soup, then boiled fowls with butter sauce. roast pig followed. then mince pie and apple tarts covered with grated loaf sugar. wine was placed upon the table those who chose drank. the table was handsomely sat the officers dined with us, and we enjoyed it very well.------ Sept, 16. We are now

2. Degen, Maria Kittredge Whitney. "Letter from Maria Kittredge Whitney Degen, January 01, 1852"
[Page 19 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
a large round tray, cushions were put upon the floor in a circle (about the tray) upon which we all sat, previous to taking our seats a servant came with a pitcher & strangely formed basin, in which each lady washed her hands, the man pouring the water over them. The first dish served was a chicken soup in a tureen, from which we all eat, dipping in our spoons one after the other until all were satisfied. Then followed meats of various kinds & fowls, vegetables, a perfect succession, only one coming at a time & always in the centre of the tray. All these things were eaten with our

3. Stuart, Lavina Field. "Letter from Lavina Field Stuart to Kate Stuart Baker, April 02, 1853"
[Page 503 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
and if your children have the Whooping-Cough, you might find these medicines of service. Father is at home sick with a bilious attack in connection with his whooping-cough, but is getting well slowly. He has been here since Wednesday, is just now sitting at this table partaking of a dish of chicken soup. Almira is as well as ever, and Fanny is much better. So upon the whole it begins to look rather more natural here. I have received the four letters from John which you enclosed to me, and wish I had been in Morristown to read them to you. They give distressing accounts of his health. The

4. Koren, Else Elisabeth Hysing. "Letter from Else Elisabeth Koren, May 22, 1854"
[Page 228 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
two frisky calves, which run loose outside here, and Vige dashing on ahead. We have received many gifts from neighbors-- butter, eggs, cream, and flour. As long as we lived with others there was no pleasure, they thought, in bringing us anything; but now it is different. The other day I made chicken soup with dumplings and was very proud of it; it must have been an excellent chicken to make such good soup. It was given me by Mother [Anne] Aarthun, and I was happy to have a meat soup for my convalescent. The only way of getting fresh meat here is to kill a rooster or shoot a bird; as yet,

5. Crowell, Ruth Bradford(?)-1928. "Diary of Ruth Bradford Crowell, October, 1861"
[Page 19 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
whether I will or not. In my presence they are all gentlemen and I do not see why I should not treat them as such. We are getting to be cannibals; had chickens for dinner which saved the cook the trouble of killing them, as they died of their own accord. I have gotten to quite like chicken soup, thickened with feathers. There is a great rolling of eyes at the dinner table now-a-days. The Doctor piously reminds us of the text "Eat whatsoever things are set before you, asking no questions for conscience's sake" but I doubt very much if it applies to our case.

6. Cumming, Kate(?)-1909. "Diary of Kate Cumming, March, 1863"
[Page 95 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
do not mean what the men leave, as nothing is used which has been in the wards,) hash made out of the soup-meat, toast, mush, milk, tea, coffee, and beefsteak. Our batter-cakes never have eggs in them; they have a little flour and soda, and are very nice. For dinner, we have beef and chicken soup, potatoes, rice, dried fruit, and for dessert a luxurious baked pudding, made of the same materials as the battercakes, with molasses for sweetening, with the addition of spices. For each meal we have what is called special diet, for the worst cases sometimes, as is specially ordered by

7. Dawson, Sarah Ida Fowler Morgan. "Diary of Sarah Fowler Morgan Dawson, July, 1863"
[Page 400 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
But before his answer arrived, yesterday morning I took it into my head that Colonel Steadman was also at the Custom-House, though his arrival had not been announced, the Yankees declining to publish any more names to avoid the excitement that follows. So Miriam and I prepared a lunch of chicken, soup, wine, preserves, sardines, and cakes, to send to him. And, fool-like, I sent a note with it. It only contained the same offer of assistance; and I would not object to the town crier's reading it; but it upset Brother's ideas of decorum completely. He said nothing to Miriam's, because that was

8. Cumming, Kate(?)-1909. "Diary of Kate Cumming, August, 1863" [ Note]
by the letters F. D. Half diet by the letters H. D. Low diet by the letters L. D."The Diet Table ordinarily will be as follows: Full Diet: Bacon, Beef, Soup, Vegetables, Bread, &c. Half Diet: Soup, Rice, Bread, Milk, &c. Low Diet: Beef Tea; Coffee; Chicken Soup; Milk, &c. Special Articles of Diet ordered will be noted on the prescriptions." ADs, Stout Papers (Thomas). 6. Catoosa Springs, a resort similar to Miss Cumming's Cherokee Springs, had been promoted as a Southern

9. Souder, Emily Bliss Thacher, fl.... . "Letter from Emily Bliss Thacher Souder to J. A. Thacher, July 20, 1863"
[Page 40 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
that I was your sister, and wanted to know if I intended writing to you soon. I will get the names of these Minnesota boys, and send them to you, if possible. I was glad to be able to give to each of them an orange, a luxury much craved and difficult to obtain at this season, and took to them some chicken soup, which they thought very comfortable. I have seen a number of Minnesota boys, but have not their names, and am sorry to add, have seen also the graves of many Minnesotians. A great many Maine boys are here, especially of the 19th Maine, which was terribly cut up. We have several times

10. Freeman, Julia Susan Wheelock. "Diary of Julia Susan Freeman, May, 1864"
[Page 192 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
Saviers, wounded in the lungs; Captain Johnson with a foot amputated; Lieutenants Grisson and Dopson severely, though less seriously wounded; Mr. Waters with amputated thigh, and many others whose names I do not recall. The food which I have to-day distributed consisted almost entirely of chicken-soup and crackers, in dealing out which I made no distinction, but gave to all as far as my supplies would go. Early this evening I went out again in company with Mrs. Johnson, and remained until twelve o'clock, dressing wounds and doing what I could to relieve the suffering of our poor

11. Freeman, Julia Susan Wheelock. "Diary of Julia Susan Freeman, May, 1864"
[Page 194 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
Sunday, the 15th Another busy day. It has seemed but little like the Sabbath. After taking supplies to four different hospitals, and distributing, and working among the wounded until late in the afternoon, I came home and prepared chicken-soup, and carried to Planter's Hotel-- assisted by Mr. Green-- sufficient for nearly four hundred men. Michigan soldiers of the Ninth Corps are here largely represented. Among these are many seriously wounded. My attention was particularly called to two such by Chaplain May-- viz.,

12. Freeman, Julia Susan Wheelock. "Diary of Julia Susan Freeman, May, 1864"
[Page 195 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
except liquids. There are hundreds of cases, each peculiarly sad, and each presenting itself as an object of sympathy. Among the hospitals I have visited to-day, is the Old Theatre, where I saw so many terribly mangled bodies last evening. I took a quantity of pillows, chicken-soup, and crackers. The moment I entered the hospital, oh, what begging for pillows came from all parts of the room! "Please, give me a pillow, I'm wounded in the head, and my knapsack is so hard," said one. Another wants one for the stump of his arm or leg. "I don't think it would be so painful if

13. Van Lew, Elizabeth L.. "Diary of Elizabeth L. Van Lew, 1864"
[Page 86 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
enemies to the country, they would do well to cut stick while they can do so with safety to their worthless carcasses." These ladies were my mother and myself-- God knows it was but little we could do-- Chivalry. These stories of implying luxuries, etc. were utterly false-- a little chicken soup and corn meal gruel etc.-- were the proscribed delicacies [we took to the prisons] for these helpless prisoners-- these sick and wounded men. And it was the giving of this necessary nutriment which caused fearful threats to these ladies. Fast Days From time to time we

14. Cortazzo, Emma Cullum Huidekoper. "Diary of Emma Cullum Cortazzo, November, 1865"
[Page [34] | Paragraph | Section | Document]
from the incessant solicitations of the stewardess, Mrs. Gordon, that I should eat. At six she would rouse me from my sleep by appearing at my bedside with a bowl of soup, at half past eight again soup; at ten soup; at twelve soup; at four soup, and at seven tea. I confess that the beef or chicken soup was nice and I really became fond of it, but days when I was very sick the mention of food was unbearable. Indeed I threatened to throw my book at Mrs. Gordon one day if she dared to mention soup to me again. Now that it is all over I look back with some pleasure on the voyage. The

Results Bibliography
Lee, Anna Maria Pittman, 1803-1838, Letter from Anna Maria Lee, August 10, 1836, in Life and Letters of Mrs. Jason Lee, First Wife of Rev. Jason Lee of the Oregon Mission. Gay, Theresa. Portland, OR: Metropolitan Press, Publishers, 1936, pp. 224. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [8-10-1836] S156-D010
Degen, Maria Kittredge Whitney, Letter from Maria Kittredge Whitney Degen, January 01, 1852, in Diary of a Grand Tour of Europe and the Middle East, 1850-1852, 3 vols.. Alexandria, VA: Alexander Street Press, 2002, pp. 455. [Bibliographic Details] [1-1-1852] S3265-D052

Stuart, Lavina Field, 1824-1898, Letter from Lavina Field Stuart to Kate Stuart Baker, April 02, 1853, in Stuart Letters of Robert and Elizabeth Sullivan Stuart and Their Children 1819-1864: With an Undated Letter Prior to July 21, 1813, v.1. Marlatt, Helen Stuart Mackay-Smith. New York, NY: Privately published, 1961, pp. 578. [Bibliographic Details] [4-2-1853] S218-D173

Koren, Else Elisabeth Hysing, 1832-1918, Letter from Else Elisabeth Koren, May 22, 1854, in The Diary of Elisabeth Koren 1853-1855. Nelson, David T.. Northfield, MN: Norwegian-American Historical Association, 1955, pp. 381. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [5-22-1854] S288-D011

Crowell, Ruth Bradford, 1841(?)-1928, Diary of Ruth Bradford Crowell, October, 1861, in Maskee! The Journal and Letters of Ruth Bradford, 1861-1872. Hartford, CT: Prospect Press, 1938, pp. 162. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [10-1-1861] S1204-D003

Cumming, Kate, 1835(?)-1909, Diary of Kate Cumming, March, 1863, in Kate: the Journal of a Confederate Nurse. Harwell, Richard Barksdale. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1998, pp. 321. [Bibliographic Details] [3-1-1863] S1869-D014

Dawson, Sarah Ida Fowler Morgan, 1842-1909, Diary of Sarah Fowler Morgan Dawson, July, 1863, in A Confederate Girl's Diary: Sarah Morgan Dawson. Dawson, Warrington, introd.. Boston, MA: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., 1913, pp. 441. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [7-10-1863] S373-D019

Cumming, Kate, 1835(?)-1909, Diary of Kate Cumming, August, 1863, in Kate: the Journal of a Confederate Nurse. Harwell, Richard Barksdale. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1998, pp. 321. [Bibliographic Details] [8-1-1863] S1869-D019

Souder, Emily Bliss Thacher, fl. 1863-1864, Letter from Emily Bliss Thacher Souder to J. A. Thacher, July 20, 1863, in Leaves from the Battlefield of Gettysburg: a Series of Letters from a Field Hospital: and National Poems. Philadelphia, PA: C. Sherman Son & Co., 1864, pp. 144. [Bibliographic Details] [7-20-1863] S1410-D009

Freeman, Julia Susan Wheelock, 1833-1900, Diary of Julia Susan Freeman, May, 1864, in The Boys in White: The Experience of a Hospital Agent in and Around Washington. New York, NY: Lange & Hillman, 1870, pp. 274. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [5-12-1864] S906-D010

Van Lew, Elizabeth L., 1818-1900, Diary of Elizabeth L. Van Lew, 1864, in A Yankee Spy in Richmond: the Civil War Diary of Crazy Bet Van Lew. Ryan, David D.. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books, 1996, pp. 166. [Bibliographic Details] [1864] S621-D004

Cortazzo, Emma Cullum Huidekoper, 1842-1918, Diary of Emma Cullum Cortazzo, November, 1865, in Emma Cullum Cortazzo, 1842-1918. Meadville, PA: E.H. Shartle, 1919, pp. 307. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [11-12-1865] S978-D007