Three Bean Salad (1963); Buckeye (1991, 1996)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 3 23:51:37 UTC 2003

   The LOS ANGELES TIMES and CHICAGO TRIBUNE have to do better than this.

THREE BEAN SALAD

   Fast And Fancy Dinner Party Fare; Frozen Foods Pay Big Dividends for Gourmet Menu Makers; By Elinor Lee; The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973), Washington, D.C.; Sep 3, 1963; pg. D1, 2 pgs
("Three-Bean Salad with Italian Dressing" recipe.)

BUCKEYE

  When State-Fair Cooks Are Paired With Highfalutin Chefs; By FLORENCE FABRICANT; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Jun 5, 1996; pg. C3, 1 pgs
("Ruth Cahill, who lives in Columbus, Ohio, said her buckeyes--a peanut-butter-fudge candy robed in chocolate that is popular in Ohio--are not so different from those that other cooks make.")

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Message 1 in thread
From: Lisa Caroline Lewis (lcl at bucsf.bu.edu)
Subject: Re: LACTO: Buckeye Candy
Newsgroups: rec.food.veg
Date: 1991-11-15 09:53:20 PST
>>>>> On 5 Nov 91 15:08:51 GMT, jsetlow1 at cc.swarthmore.edu said:

-> This recipe was given to me by my grandmother.  It has absolutely no
-> nutritional value, but is definitely worth it.

->    Buckeye Candy
-> 3 lbs confectioners sugar
-> 2 lbs peanut butter, preferably chunky
-> 1 lb butter
-> 2-3 tsp vanilla
-> 24 oz chocolate chips
-> 1/4 bar paraffin

PARAFFIN?!??  I thought paraffin was inedible.  Am I wrong?  Talk about no
nutritional value! :-)
--
Lisa Caroline Lewis     Our country, right or wrong.
lcl at bucsf.bu.edu    When right, to be kept right;
                              - Carl Schurz, January 17, 1872

Message 2 in thread