G-string

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 6 16:32:18 UTC 2003

At 12:09 PM -0400 5/6/03, Fred Shapiro wrote:

>Also note the third citation in OED: 1891 Harper's Mag. Dec. 36/2 Some of
>the boys wore only G-strings (as, for some reason, the breech-clout is
>commonly called on the prairie).  Were prairie folk that musically
>oriented that they would come up with a musical term for this item?

I hypothesize that those prairie-ites saw how much circulation there
was in the vicinity of the breech-clout and were immediately reminded
of Bach's "Air on the G-string" from his third orchestral suite (BWV
1068).  At least as plausible as the G-spot derivation.

>Fred Sha[orp

That's why we all call you Fred--it's too hard to pronounce that left bracket.

Larry
   ;)