Cold War & Hot Peace (1939); Larry Udang

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed May 7 04:07:11 UTC 2003

COLD WAR & HOT PEACE

   Fred Shapiro found "cold war" in THE NATION from 1938, and I also saw that citation in its full text archive.  The newly available full text CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR shows that that "cold war" citation is not isolated.  This is one of the "words of the century," so it's nice to have more citations.

  ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS ON PAGE 2; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Jan 7, 1940; pg. 82, 1 pgs
("Gregory Stern has been appointed to lead the Russian troops in the cold war against Finland.")

  This Changing World; Danzig--Chamberlain's Assurance Puts the European Spotlight on Poland-- Messages Show That the Poles Are Ready to Resist Challenge; By H.B. Elliston; Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file), Boston, Mass.; Jul 7, 1939; pg. 1, 1 pgs
("Some people call it a 'hot peace,' others a 'cold war,' but, whatever it is, the Poles feel that they are living forever to the tune of a nutcracker suite.")

LARRY UDANG

   Larry Udang is a great guy.  I tried to send him an e-mail apologizing for antedating "Montezuma's revenge" and "shoot" and "Indian bread" and "Jew bread" and "kosher pickle" yesterday, but he's not accepting mail from me.
   I'm an editor of the OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (2004).  I have new, powerful, but expensive databases that have become available in the past month.  I'm antedating every food term in the DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN REGIONAL ENGLISH (about 20% of the entire project), and doing selected other terms.  I'm putting it here, where it can be archived.  People can delete it (or save it) as they wish.
   If Udang, who wrote a book called THE WHOLE BALL OF WAX, isn't interested in "the whole ball of wax," that's his choice.  I work hard and share everything, and can do no more.