Re:       Barry Popik's food-terminology postings

Thu May 8 14:46:17 UTC 2003

I pretty much agree with Gerald Cohen here. I have had my disagreements with
some of Popik's commentary in the past, and I am personally not very
interested in reading about whether HEAD CHEESE was first sighted (sic) in
1844 or 1822. And I am even less interested in much of Popik's chit-chat
about his travels, his complaints about newspaper editors who ignore his
pronouncements and treat him like a green-ink letter-writer.

But many other people on the list enjoy it all, apparently, and who am I to
stand in their way? So I simply use the delete button.

Moreover -- and this is really important to me -- Barry's endless-seeming
antedatings are archived in the ADS-L archives. Lots of people -- including
me -- make use of this stuff and find it important and maybe even
occasionally crucial for various reasons. So I am grateful to Barry for all
that he does, and if the way that he goes about it is sometimes an
incovenience to my mailbox, I'm willing to put up with it (a). because others
like the way he goes about it and (b). he is doing important work.