NYC Gay Slang; NYC Criminal Slang; Blondie; Baldie

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 8 21:55:44 UTC 2003

NYC GAY SLANG

TIME OUT NEW YORK
412 pages, paperback, $16.95
11th edition, 2003

   This travel guide is generally available in bookstores.  Let me know if
you want a definition typed out.

Pages 288-289:
   _Coming to terms_
_Let our gay glossary help you keep everyone...straight._
BABY BUTCHES...
BEARS...
BOIS...
DYKE MIKES...
GUPPIES...
HOMO THUGS (ALSO HOMO THUGZ)...
MUSCLE MARYS...
PIER QUEENS...
SEX PIGS...
TROLLS...
TWINKIES...

NYC CRIMINAL SLANG

A GOOD FELLA'S GUIDE TO NEW YORK
by Henry Hill with Bryon Schreckengost
NY:  Three Rivers Press
224 pages, paperback, $12.95
2003

Pg. 2:Why is it called the Big Apple, Henry?  COnflicting reports.  Some say
back in the 1920w and 1930s, Jazz musicians used to refer to New York as "the
Big Apple."  Others claim that stable hands up from New Orleans had big
aspirations and regarded the New York racetracks as the big show.  Even some
historians stiffs believe guys in suits sold apples for extra dough on the
streets during the Great Depression.  How stupid.  I say who gives a shit.
It's a big place and we always took a juicy bite out of it.  Don't like it?
Move to Nebraska.
(I GOTTA WHACK THIS GUY!--ed.)

Pg. 8:  _The Capos_ are the middlemen, sometimes called skippers.

Pg. 9:  Cosa Nostra actually means "this thing of ours."

Pg. 10:  You don't want to find out what "Bushwick bushwack" is.

Pg. 13:  We called it "Creeps Dead" bay.

Pg. 13:  If some punk asks you if your ride is "clean," he wants to know if
it was tailed or not.

Pg. 25 ("FOOD...TO DIE FOR" chapter):  LOMBARDI'S ... In 1905 at 53 1/3
Spring Street, Gennaro Lombardi started a whole new food group here.
(Well, I never wanted a mobster in the New York Public Library, anyway--ed.)

Pg. 61:  "He went upstate" meant the guy got whacked, and don't ask again.

Pg. 95:  "Shares grass with the shamrocks" meant the Irish mob was an ally.

Pg. 119:  In the mob,l getting coal in your stocking meant you were
disappearing over the holidays, or a warning to lay low.

Pg. 123:  Candy, markers, ammo, liners, stocking stuffer, sweetener, garnish,
and pledges are all terms for cash.

Pg. 126:  Mob girlfriends, I've read, are called "goumadas" and "comares."  I
didn't hear this much.  We referred to them as "girlfriends."

Pg. 147:  _The Track._  A newspaper reporter in the 1920s heard New Orleans
stable hands refer to New York as the "Big Apple."  The name stuck and so has
the popularity of horse racing, and more important, wagering.  There isn't a
wagered horse race, in New York or anywhere else, without some kind of mob
interaction (or interference).

Pg. 148:  In the mob, a loanshark is referred to as "shylock."  The interest
owed is the "vig."  Get behind on the vig, and look the fuck out.

Pg. 161:  An "empty suit" or "jack-off" was the mobster wanna-be, the guy
that just hung around us to feel cool.  We were; he wasn't.

Pg. 163:  To earn a "button" was to become a made man, an untouchable.

Pg. 182:  The Gambinos rocked Wall Street in 2001 with a signature "inflate
and skate" scam.  Stefi Graf supposedly lost hundreds of thousands in a
matter of months.

Pg. 189:  "Junkyard dogs" are connected guys in scrapyards.

Pg. 212:  LEAVE AN IMPRESSION.
Head Cheese...Il Soffio di Naso...Van GoGo...Shaky Shake...(Pg. 213--ed.)
...The Gimp...Manhattan Rodeo...Zupper Mouth...Microwaved Weiner...Devil's
SMile...Pipe Cleaner.

Pg. 213:  MAFIA'S TOP-TEN HITS.
Squirmer...Steak House Ambush...(Pg. 214--ed.) ...Copper Migraine...Brooklyn
Fogger...Sicilian Neck Tie...Bad Starter...Garrote...The Yankee
Clipper...White Shotgun...Barin Picker.

Pg. 214:  BEST WAYS TO HIDE A CORPSE.
Sewer Ratr...Waste Management...Italian Oven...Cement Boots...Rubber
Ducks...(Pg. 215--ed.) ...Scrap Yard Graveyard...Construction-Site
Casket...Scatter Technique...Coney Islanmd Foot Long.  Make sure you have
access to the local meat processing plant and don't eat franks for a
while...Sack of Lime.

(Notice, no chapter on Parking Violations--ed.)

BLONDIE

   I should have added that I consider "Blondie" and "Dagwood sandwich" food
names to have been influenced by the below comic strip.

Mark    BLONDIE
Goods and Services  IC 016. US 038. G & S: COMIC STRIP OR CARTOON. FIRST USE:
19300908. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19300908
Mark Drawing Code   (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number   71307402
Filing Date October 31, 1930
Registration Number 0280850
Registration Date   March 3, 1931
Owner   (REGISTRANT) KING FEATURES SYNDICATE, INC. CORPORATION NEW YORK 235
EAST 45TH STREET NEW YORK NEW YORK(LAST LISTED OWNER) HEARST HOLDING, INC
CORPORATION BY MERGER, BY ASSIGNMENT DELAWARE 959 EIGHTH AVENUE NEW YORK NEW
YORK 10019
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text  SECT 12C. SECTION 8(10-YR) 20010210.
Renewal 4TH RENEWAL 20010210
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

---------------------
BALDIE

   A pretzel without salt.  The "baldies" uses I've seen appear to show that
it's in "Band-Aid" and "Kleenex" and "Xerox" territory.

Typed DrawingWord Mark  BALDIES
Goods and Services  IC 030. US 046. G & S: PRETZELS. FIRST USE: 19590600.
FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19590600
Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number   73118554
Filing Date March 10, 1977
Registration Number 1078017
Registration Date   November 22, 1977
Owner   (REGISTRANT) ANDERSON BAKERIES, INC. CORPORATION PENNSYLVANIA 2060
OLD PHILADELPHIA PIKE LANCASTER PENNSYLVANIA 17604(LAST LISTED OWNER)
ANDERSON BAKING COMPANY, INC. CORPORATION ASSIGNEE OF DELAWARE 2060 OLD
PHILADELPHIA PIKE LANCASTER PENNSYLVANIA
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record  BRETT I MILLER
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL