Montgomery Pie(1928); ADS-L

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 10 06:36:47 UTC 2003

MONTGOMERY PIE

   DARE has 1946.  It's from Montgomery County, PA.  The WASHINGTON POST should antedate this, and it does.

  The Facts Come Out in the Wash; FOR THE NEEDY; Anne's Reader Exchange; The Washington Post and Times Herald (1954-1959), Washington, D.C.; Apr 22, 1959; pg. D4, 1 pgs

  To Market With The "Dutch"; MARION L. GRUBB.; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Jun 12, 1938; pg. B8, 1 pgs
("We bought a Montgomery pie;...")

  The Homemaker; By NANCY CAREY; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Apr 4, 1928; pg. 9, 1 pgs
("Who has a recipe for Montgomery pie?  Here is the lady's letter:...Also, do you know 'the Montgomery pie,' that is a Pennyslvania dish, but do not know more of it, except that it is a form of pie.  Perhaps you can help me.  I like your column very much.")

ADS-L

Let's hope no one decides the list should become a repository for an
endless stream of sightings of phenomena related to "phonological,
grammatical, and stylistic/registral variation" either.

Cheers,
Scott "5 May 2001 / 16:43 EST / Athens, Georgia / Corner of Main and Oak
St.: Heard speaker use a dental [t].  Speaker was white, 40-45, female,
middle-class-looking, wearing red shorts and a white blouse and speaking on
a Motorola cell phone to an unknown party, walking at apprx. 1.2 mph in a
N-NE direction" Sadowsky

   Say that does happen.  Say that Dennis Preston decides to put all his work on ADS-L for free.  I would try to accommodate him as much as possible.  It would be a blessing.
   But me?  Maybe I'm allowed a "Montgomery pie" antedating here and there, but not a lot of antedatings.  That's bad!
   I can put this stuff on the Dictionary Society of North America's web site.  I can put it on DARE or Merriam-Webster or OED web sites, if they choose to make such sites.  The posts would probably become their property.
   It belongs on an ADS web site.
   If Scott has a better idea than to just get rid of it all, I'll listen to it.