Noogie (1974, 1978)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 10 21:22:58 UTC 2003

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
  Don't Get Outta Here, Bill Murray; The 'Saturday Night' Whackos, Wailing for Freddie, With Noogies; By Tom Shales; The Washington Post (1974-Current file), Washington, D.C.; May 31, 1978; pg. B1, 2 pgs

  Display Ad 438 -- No Title; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Feb 24, 1974; pg. 321, 1 pgs
(Ad for the book YOUR SPARKLE CAVALCADE OF DEATH, by Robert Shiarella--ed.)

(From GOOGLE)
2000
Robert Shiarella was kind enough to leave an entry in my guest book. He is the author of Your Sparkle Cavalcade of Death, one of the books on my sorely neglected 100 books list, and a friend of the writer William Kotzwinkle, who wrote The Fan Man and Dr. Rat, two of the great, and with Shiarella's Sparkle Cavalcade, three of the great satiric works of the 70's. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Southern's The Blood of a Wig also come to mind.
Really? asks self. The greatest? No small amount of hyperbole here, I think.

   "Noogie" is in DARE (from the 1980s) but not in OED.  Amazing.  What does the OED revision have?
   Robert Shiarella is an interesting person to speak with, and it appears that he's still alive (and perhaps living in New York City).  It seems that he wrote for underground magazines before YOUR SPARKLE CAVALCADE OF DEATH (1974), so "noogie" might have appeared there.  The book's character names were clearly meant to be satirical.  Let's just ask him!
   There is plenty of slang in his book, but no "wuss."

YOUR SPARKLE CAVALCADE OF DEATH
by Robert Shiarella
New York: The Viking Press
1974

Pg. 3:  Fila Noogie pulled the pillow over her ears and waited for the alarm to run down. (...)
   "Whazzit," rasped Lewd Noogie.

Pg. 48:  At that very moment, Arthur had marched past his father announcing into his new microphone: _Toy boat, toy boat, toy boat, toy boat, toy boat_.
(We did that in the 1970s, and I never understood why--ed.)

Pg. 121:  _Mister Big Shot_.  _If he ain't a cow fag, then I'm a clam's uncle_.

Pg. 239:  _Fart-bag fag_.

Pg. 257:  _Here comes fag-face_.