Mother's Day(1874); Litigation Lotto(1992); Permission Marketing(1997)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 11 21:52:17 UTC 2003

LITIGATION LOTTO

Here in Gotham, there's no question that such lawsuits have earned their nickname, "litigation lotto."   When it comes to suing the city, well . . . "Hey, you never know."
--NEW YORK POST (www.nypost.com), 11 May 2003, lead editorial

   Political arguments would be nothing without jargon.  The NEW YORK POST has used "litigation lotto" in editorials before, but didn't coin it.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
From: Steve Johnson (johnson at trwacs.UUCP)
Subject: Re: Dutch crackers arrested
Newsgroups: alt.security
Date: 1992-02-07 05:06:12 PST

morgan at ms.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) writes:
** Stuff Deleted **
>       ....   Many computer users do NOT want to accept
>responsibility for their actions. ....

Change "computer users" to "individuals" and you have one of the major reasons
for the problems facing the US today.  This group is just an indicator of the
world at large where it's always someone elses fault and "litigation lotto"
has become one of our more popular pasttimes.

(FACTIVA database)
Review-Journal
The Las Vegas Review-Journal
3c
The management at McDonald's doesn't set out to burn customers To the editor:

Ah, lawyers. Sometimes they make sarcastic letters to the editor so darn easy.
(...)
To pay this award, a little money is going to come from each of the company's shareholders, coffee buyers and other customers. So we all get to pay a little bit of Mrs. Liebeck's Litigation Lotto jackpot (and, more importantly, the lawyer fees).

A refusal to play lotto with litigation abuse
SUSAN VOGEL
San Francisco-based writer and attorney.
953 words
San Francisco Examiner
SECOND
A-23
(...)
Litigation lotto is becoming the way of life in America. I have joked with friends that in other countries when a child trips on a sidewalk, the father chastises him - and in the United States, the father congratulates him for providing a lawsuit to fund his college education.

LET'S PLAY LITIGATION LOTTO
New York Post
32

(PROQUEST DIRECT)
  Commentary; New Taxation Through Legal Representation; States scrambling to make up budget shortfalls are playing litigation lotto.; [HOME EDITION]; JONATHAN TURLEY; The Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles, Calif.; Oct 7, 2002; pg. B.11

  New U.S. tort litigation: To go warily where no one has gone before; Richard L Antognini; Defense Counsel Journal, Chicago; Oct 2000; Vol. 67, Iss. 4; pg. 454, 8 pgs

  Litigation lotto; Sheila R Cherry; Insight on the News, Washington; Apr 3-Apr 10, 2000; Vol. 16, Iss. 13; pg. 10, 5 pgs

  Fix car design before lawsuit; [ALL Edition]; R. David Pittle; Christian Science Monitor, Boston, Mass.; Dec 13, 1999; pg. 9

PERMISSION MARKETING

   From the NEW YORK SUN, 8 May 2003, pg. 9, col. 2:

   Today is Purple Cow Day--as marked by the release of "Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable."
   The Bovine offering is the newest book by marketing maverick Seth Godin.  Well-known for coining the phrase "permission marketing" and teaching readers about "unleashing the ideavirus," Mr. Godin's latest effort is perhaps the closest he's come yet to demonstrating how to use brains rather than dollar to make your products and companies as "remarkable" as Mr. Godin himself.

   The WORD SPY has "permission marketing" from 1999, the year of Godin's book.  This was before WORD SPY began giving first citations.  Godin's 1997 article (below) came before the book...I imagine that Godin credits Gellett Burgess for "purple cow," but I haven't read the new book.

(WORLDCAT)
Permission marketing :
turning strangers into friends, and friends into customers /