Queer as Dick's Hatband (1835, 1868)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 11 22:31:51 UTC 2003

   DARE has "Dick's hatband" from 1891.  The newer slang of "queer" and "dick"  makes the old phrase a bit interesting in modern times.
   The American Periodical Series came through with THE KNICKERBOCKER full text.

Putnam's Magazine. Original Papers on Literature, Science, Art and National Interests (1868-1870), New York; Mar 1868; Vol. VOL.I., Iss. 0
  TABLE-TALK.; pg. 389, 4 pgs
(Pg. 392:  "As the country-folk say, 'He is as queer as Dick--as queer as Dick's hatband.'")

The Knickerbocker or New York Monthly Magazine (1833-1862), New York; May 1835; Vol. 5, Iss. 5
  Ollapodiana; Ollapod; pg. 434, 11 pgs
Pg. 436:  By the way, the word apopththegm reminds me of the numerous sayings current in this country, that are utterly unsusceptible of meaning or explanation.  Thus, when a person is eccentric, he is pronounced 'as odd as Dick's hat band.'  The origin of this native apophthegm is bured in obscurity.  In vain does curiosity inquire _who_ was the mysterious Richard, with taste _unique_, and hat-band odd?  Was it Richard the III?  or Coeur de Lion?  Probably not the former.  The only queer things about that monarch, were his misshapen back, and his knee-band,--an article which his proud representatives of the stage wear only on one leg, a custom certainly odd, because, according to the antique rule, 'One is odd and two are even.'  Most men have but one hat-band.  It is considered sufficient,--and no man has two: if he had, it would be odd indeed.  A mass of reasoning on this subject presses itself at present upon my mind,--but I pass to other sayings.  When one is good humored, it is apt to be remarked that 'He is as smiling as a basket of chips.'  Now reader, _is_ there anything so very humorous in a basket of chips?  Does it wear a smile?  I never could perceive that it did.  A basket of this sort is as much devoid of expression, as the whites of Job's eggs were of taste.  I have gathered many a basket full of chips in the country, for the gay mid-winter's fire; but really they never smiled.  (...)
(Pg. 437--ed.)  When an individual, also, is in a state of extreme inebriety, it is observed of him, that 'He is as blue as a razor.'  Now under favor and correction, I would express my belief, that a razor hath not that cerulean hue spoken of 'i' the adage.'  It is of a bright and silvery aspect, and the sheen thereof is entirely unlike the sky, or any other azure element or tint whatever.  How the saying became extant, is beyond the lore of the antiquary.