"Mince Pie" dreams of grandmother (1934, 1939)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 12 06:00:41 UTC 2003

   DARE has "dream about one's grandmother," which is to have a bad dream.  Citations from 1942 and 1978 are given, indicating that "mince pie" can set this kind of thing off.

  Reason For Dreams; HUGH BARCLAY RICH. Washington, Aug. 23; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Aug 28, 1939; pg. 6, 1 pgs:
  "Now tell me, Squire, did you have dessert, and if so, what?"  This with a rising inflection.  "Half a small mince pie," replied father.  "Now Squire," the doctor intoned, "eat the same dinner tonight with one exception; when you come to the dessert eat a whole mince pie and you will see your grandfather and grandmother both."
(The patient had previously seen just his grandfather in a dream, and had asked for a remedy--ed.)

  THE THANKSGIVING TABLE; To the Turkey and the Other Dishes That Are Imperative to Our National Feast, We Now Add a Variety of New Delicacies ; By HENRIETTA RIPPERGER; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Nov 25, 1934; pg. SM14, 1 pgs:
   Around mince pie clings a good deal of folklore.  It has been called, in paraphrase of Shakespeare, "such stuff as dreams are made on."  Half a century ago a popular rhymed fable among youngsters was that of "The Mince Pie Prince" who insisted on taking more than one piece and, unable to mount the stairway to bed, sat him down on the lowest step and slept "rife with dreamings."  In an early-Republic song, still heard occasionally, one stanza runs:
_Can she make mince pies, Billy boy, Billy boy?_
_Can she make mince pies, Billy boy?_
_Yes; she can make mince pies_
_Quick's a cat can wink its eyes;_
_But she's a young thing and cannot leave her mother._