Dilly Bean (1959)--and the dillatini

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 12 14:48:09 UTC 2003

Another madeleine moment, as Barry's postings often induce.  I've
been enjoying "okratinis" for the last three years (only in months
with R in them; the others require gin and tonics).  An okratini is,
of course, a martini with a hot pickled okra (Taste O' Texas and
Trappeys are recommended brands).  Inspiring this innovation, I'm
sure, was my distant memory of dilly bean martinis--I don't remember
calling them "dillatinis", but I would have if I'd thought of it.  I
dimly recall jars with happy dressed-up string beans (or green beans,
depending on where you are) on the label.  Can't recall the brand,
and I haven't seen them in years (although I've seen pickled
asparagus and other vegetables).  Okratinis are more interesting
anyway.

Larry

P.S.  Along the same lines, during the LSA meetings in New Orleans I
tried something they call a Cajun martini.  The role of the olive was
played by a small whole or halved jalapeno pepper.  Not particularly
Cajun, as far as I could tell, and my impression was that the
jalapeno didn't have the desired "affinity for gin" of the dilly bean
or pickled okra.  (The jalatini was still superior to those execrable
"hurricanes", though.)