Guys for Girls Redux

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Wed May 14 22:23:32 UTC 2003

Since this thread isn't dead yet, I probably should fess up to overhearing
a conversation this noon that refutes my earlier contention that "Dude!
(i.e., Wow!) You're pregnant!" would be distinguishable from "Dude (or
Mary, or Sally), you're pregnant!" by a different intonation pattern.

The gender question wasn't involved in this case, because it was a female
student addressing a male student, but her intonation of "Dude" was the
same intonation I'd use with "Wow," but the rest of the utterance made it
clear that it was a form of address, not a general exclamation.

(Note to self: try to remember that 16-year-old speech may sometimes differ
from 61-year old speech.)

Peter Mc.

--On Wednesday, May 14, 2003 5:30 PM -0400 Mark A Mandel <mam at THEWORLD.COM>