PSAT Glitch

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Fri May 16 01:55:01 UTC 2003

P-A-T says:
 >It's great to depend on "actual language use", but whose actual
 >language is Zwicky referring to?  Most of my experience has been
 >with middle and lower "class" African American and white speakers
 >from the rural South.  Are these language groups members of that
 >class of "ordinary folks"

oh, for goodness sake.  i said quite specifically that i was willing
to carry this discussion on with respect to the language of the elites
(their actual language)  and was willing to put aside the language of
ordinary folks (like me).

the point was that *even so*, this proscription (about possessive
antecedents and pronouns) was just fucked.  read any elite written
source, like the New York Times.  any fuckin' day. wake up.

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)