Odd expression

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri May 16 18:24:21 UTC 2003

> > I have always heard my father say the phrase "boccatadi papason".
>... The other day I was teasing my mom in the store,
> > and an older couple seemed to be shocked and highly offended at
> > what I said.

Why was the couple offended? Where did this occur? I think the expression
would be entirely opaque in the US except perhaps in Hawaii or around some
military bases, or among Japanese-speakers.

Quick Web search suggests however that "papa-san" (in English) is used
today for "pimp" all over Southeast Asia among "sex tourists" and others
... probably spillover from the military, I suppose.

-- Doug Wilson