Holupki (1938)

Sat May 17 21:35:09 UTC 2003

It's odd to find a Slovak loan into English (holupki) referred to as
"another form of the word" in contrast to "golumpki," which is from
pl. Polish golabki (barred "l," pronounced as English "w" and "a"
with hook, pronounced as nasal English "o" or "au" - of "caught").
Doubtless the spelling change in English reflects the lack of nasal
vowel characters. The singlar ("golabek") is derived from "golab,"
which means "pigeon" or "dove."

prestonski

--
Dennis R. Preston