Tax Freedom Day (1949)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 19 19:24:38 UTC 2003

   Taxes, as I've said before, are going up again in New York City.  It's said that New York City ties with California for the latest "Tax Freedom Day" in the country.
   Who started this idea?  It's not in OED.  Here goes:

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
  20 more days to Tax Freedom Day; Economic scene; By David R. Francis; Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file), Boston, Mass.; Apr 16, 1979; pg. 14, 1 pgs

  Central economic planning: boon or bane?; By David R. Francis Business and financial editor of The Christian Science Monitor; Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file), Boston, Mass.; Apr 18, 1977; pg. 14, 2 pgs

  Whose Tax Burden Is Heaviest?; By STERLING E.SODERLIND; Wall Street Journal (1889-Current file), New York, N.Y.; May 9, 1972; pg. 24, 1 pgs

  EISENHOWER SCORES PRESIDENT ON REDS; In Tour of Wisconsin, General Asserts He Backs Senator's Aims Not His Methods DENOUNCES 'VIGILANTISM' Says Administration Tolerated Penetration by Communists -- Asks Fight on; By W. H. LAWRENCESpecial to THE NEW YORK TIMES.; New York Times (1857, New York, N.Y.; Oct 4, 1952; pg. 1, 2 pgs

  'Ike' Outlines Aim to Revive Faith in Voters; Laid at Voters' Door; By a Staff Correspondent of The Christian Science Monitor; Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file), Boston, Mass.; Oct 1, 1952; pg. 3, 1 pgs

  Text of Eisenhower Address in South Carolina Starting New Tour; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Oct 1, 1952; pg. 29, 1 pgs

  Text of Eisenhower's Speech at Columbia, S.C., on the People's Role in Government; 'Treadmill Prosperity' Assailed by General; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Oct 1, 1952; pg. 6, 2 pgs

  "Tax Freedom Day"; Wall Street Journal (1889-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Apr 22, 1949; pg. 4, 1 pgs:
   We suspect that Dallas L. Hostetler of the Florida State Retailers Association had tongue in cheek when he suggested that April 28 be declared a national holiday under the title "Tax Freedom Day."
   It's on that date, he figures, that the average American starts working for himself.  All he may have earned before, from January 1, he says, represents taxes; until April 28 he's working for somebody else.  Mr. Hostetler thinks the day of emancipation calls for a bit of celebrating.
   Despite the present plethora of holidays for this, of weeks for that, we kinda like the idea.  It might help bring home to the average man just what taxes really cost him.
   If it does then we might have some hopes of pushing the celebration back somewhere within shooting distance of New Year's Day.