Blue Plate service (1921); Chicago Tribune does it again

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 20 02:26:29 UTC 2003

BLUE PLATE SERVICE

   Before "blue plate special" in 1926 we have "blue plate dinner" in 1922.  This is close.  Gerald Cohen is compiling blue plates.

   31 October 1921, WASHINGTON POST, pg. 3 ad:
   For dinner tonight try this Blue Plate service of ours--You'll like it.  $1.50 a plate.

OT: LIBRARIES

   The NYPL, NYU, and Columbia libraries will all be closed this Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  Columbia, when it's open on weekdays, now closes at 7 p.m.
   I'm working Tuesday (tomorrow), Friday, next Tuesday.  If you have a database request, make it fast.  I leave the country next week.

BAR TENDER

>From last week's WORD SPY:
Backgrounder:
Mixing cocktails is becoming a highfalutin business. As proof (no, that's not a pun) you need only consider the large number of drink mixers who are nixing the title bartender (a worthy word that dates from 1836). Instead, many prefer the pretentious appellation bar chef or the awkward label cocktailian.

   Not again!  I antedated "bartender" and it's also in the archives.  It was in the title of the post.  I thought the "turducken" miss was strange, but now it's two in one month.
   Yes, I get no respect at all, but nothing can top...

CHICAGO TRIBUNE DOES IT AGAIN

ASK TOM WHY
Chicago Tribune; Chicago, Ill.; May 17, 2003; Tom Skilling, chief meteorologist at WGN;

Sub Title:  [Chicago Final Edition]
Column Name:  ASK TOM WHY
Start Page:  26
ISSN:  10856706
Abstract:
Chicago's average wind speed is 10.4 m.p.h. That's breezy as wind speeds go, but many cities and locations register higher winds. In the 50 states, the National Weather Service measures winds at 255 cities and locations of interest, and at 75 of them the average wind speed is greater than Chicago's.

Full Text:
(Copyright 2003 by the Chicago Tribune)

WEATHER REPORT.

Dear Tom,

Can you tell me where Chicago ranks as the Windy City? I know it's not number one.

Sig Faber

Dear Sig,

Chicago's average wind speed is 10.4 m.p.h. That's breezy as wind speeds go, but many cities and locations register higher winds. In the 50 states, the National Weather Service measures winds at 255 cities and locations of interest, and at 75 of them the average wind speed is greater than Chicago's. That means Chicago is among the top 30% of the nation's breeziest locations, but 29% log higher winds. Windiest: Mt. Washington, N.H., with 35.1 m.p.h.

Chicago's appellation "the Windy City" has non-meteorological origins. In 1893, New York Sun editor Charles Dana, weary of hearing Chicagoans boast of the success of Chicago's 1893 World's Columbian Exposition, dubbed Chicago the "Windy City"--and the nickname stuck.