PSAT Glitch

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue May 20 18:47:56 UTC 2003

        There doesn't seem to have been much recognition of the brouhaha in the mainstream media, but Internet sources are all over this story, with the weight of informed opinion coming down heavily in favor of genitive nouns as pronoun antecedents.  My favorite quote so far is from one Richard R. Hershberger in the alt.english.usage newsgroup:  "I, on the other hand, find the whole affair rather inspirational.  I still live in a country were a person can make up a rule of English and, through the sweat of his brow, get it accepted by a pseudo-authority."

John Baker