Re:       Re: PSAT Glitch

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Wed May 21 13:49:14 UTC 2003

Arnold asks:

> why are the handbook examples so similar across the years?

I think that's because the handbooks, and the composition teachers who employ
them, are in c.y.a. mode. Or maybe just c., to be charitable. That is,
anticipating complaints by faculty who subsequently have these students or
employers who subsequently employ them, these composition teachers can say,
"Well, I (or, the handbook) certainly *covered* that topic." So the writing
assignments in a composition class are typically a smorgasbord, covering
everything from definition to cause & effect; and the "grammar" (usage)
lessons *cover* every possible objection. And the makers of a new handbook
themselves have to be sure to *cover* everything included in a rival book,
and then are tempted to introduce a few new strictures of their own.

- Allan Metcalf