implicit/implied (was Re: PSAT Glitch)

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sun May 25 01:28:26 UTC 2003

let me try to explain my problem in detail, using donna gorrell's
formulation as a take-off point:

  The antecedent of a pronoun must be a noun or another pronoun,
  not an adjective, a possessive case noun, a clause, or a phrase.

a dialogue between a Grammar Apprentice (A) and a Grammar Master (M):