FW: [19cBB] Cheerleading (the Tiger, Fomentology)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Nov 2 18:13:25 UTC 2003

To ads-l: FYI ( message to baseball research groups).

Gerald Cohen

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Paul Wendt [mailto:pgw at world.std.com]
        Sent: Sun 11/2/2003 11:50 AM
        To: 19th Century Egroup
        Cc: SABR Email List
        Subject: [19cBB] Cheerleading (the Tiger, Fomentology)

        19ers and SABRen,

        23 Oct 2003, "Re: [19cBB] Three Times Three a Tiger ?",
        Larry McCray asked about and commented on cheerleading.
        He sent the same item to SABR-L under the subjectline "Fomentology".

        Larry closed,
        > The American Dialect Society's explanation of the utterance
        > "Sis - boom - bah" is hereby welcomed.

        While we wait for the ADS, I will check the Czech Association of
        Cheerleaders . . .
        http://www.cach.cz/Aj/ch_history.html

        In the 1860's students in Great Britain began cheering at competitive
        sporting events and soon the idea spread to the United States.
        At Princeton in New Jersey, in 1865 the first pep club was formed and
        they created the first-known cheer:

        "Rah rah rah
        Tiger Tiger Tiger
        Sis sis sis
        Boom boom boom
        Aaaahhhhh!
        Princeton! Princeton! Princeton!"  [Kuch, page 9]
        <<

        The reference is R.D. Kuch, The Cheerleaders Almanac, 1996.

        Paul Wendt, Watertown MA, USA <pgw at world.std.com>
        Chair, 19th Century Committee, SABR
        Owner-Administrator, 19cBB (egroup at Yahoo)