Bean Soup (1902); Empanada, Locro (1882); Cazuela (1893)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 3 09:16:32 UTC 2003

   A giant helping.

APPETIZERS (continued)

   I didn't see the Merriam-Webster 1820 "appetizer."  It's a tad earlier.
There are some earlier APS ONLINE hits that are difficult to go through.

BEAN SOUP (continued)

   It's even earlier on Ancestry.
   The joke occurs twice in Google Groups' "Canonical List of Food and Waiter
Humor."  I don't know if food humor will make the ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN
FOOD AND DRINK, but it should.

   6 August 1902, FORT WAYNE NEWS (Fort Wayne, Indiana), pg.3, col. 4:
      _The Present State._
(A cartoon is here--ed.)
   Customer--Waiter, what's this?
   Waiter--It's bean soup, sir.
   Customer--Never mind what it's been.  What is it now?--Chicago American.

   27 September 1888, OLEAN DEMOCRAT (Olean, NY), pg. 6, col. 4:
      _Feathers in It._
   Guest (indignantly)--Waiter, there are feathers in this soup!
   Waiter (inspecting)--Why, so there are.  I thought I was giving you bean
soup.  It's chicken broth, sir; costs 10 cents more.  (Changes figures on the
check.)--Chicago Tribune.

   18 June 1881, FORT WAYNE DAILY GAZETTE (Fort Wayne, Indiana), pg. 6, col.
1:
   "Here's a fly in my soup, waiter."  "Yes, sir; very sorry, sir, but you
can throw away the fly and eat the soup, can't you?"  "Of course I can; you
don't expect me to throw away the soup and eat the fly, do you?"

CAZUELA

   There are earlier posts in the archives, but these help.

ARGENTINE, PATAGONIA, AND CHILIAN SKETCHES,
WITH A FEW NOTES ON URUGUAY
by Charles Edmond Akers
London: Harrison & Sons
1893

Pg. 103:  This consisted of a _Cazuela_,a dish made by boiling a chicken in a
large pot in which was also placed potatoes, garlic, other vegetables, and
some salt.  This I found to be the national dish in Chile.

THE REAL ARGENTINE:
NOTES AND IMPRESSIONS OF A YEAR IN THE ARGENTINE AND URUGUAY
by J. A. Hammerton
New York: Dodd, Mead and Company
1915

Pg. 151:  _Dulce inglesa_ is the line on the _menu_ and when you ask for it
(which you do but once) you find it means a tablespoonful of common strawberry
jam, and you could have had _peche melba_ for the money at home!

Pg. 163:  And in the _cazuela_ (a word which in domestic use signifies a
stew, and theatrically a gallery reserved entirely for ladies--also something of a
stew) the chattering between the fan-flapping occupants is so continuous that
on a sudden lowering of the music one is sure to hear voices from the cazuela
ringing out by contrast.

EMPANADA

CAMEOS FROM THE SILVER-LAND;
OR, THE EXPERIENCES OF A YOUNG NATURALIST IN THE ARGENTINE REPUBLIC
by Ernest William White
in two volumes
London: J. Van Voorst
1881 (volume one)
1882 (volume two)

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 151:  ...the bakers, who deliver the first throughout the city in carts,
are a numerous fraternity and provide, from Argentine flour, all the loaves
known in Europe, besides the pan-criollo (flour kneaded with milk), a
delicately-white small round one, which when fresh, yields an appetizing bread.

Pg. 261:  ...abundance of food, plain but wholesome, and consisting among]st
other dishes of wheaten soup, _caldo_ (broth), _puchero_ (boiled meat),
_guiso_ (stew), fricasseed parrot, owl _ragout_, grilled beef,...

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 57:  ...I was aware that the universal dish in those parts was a kind of
curry made of whole maize boiled soft, a sprinkling of finely chopped meat and
bacon, the whole flavoured to scalding point with aji (_Capsicum
missocarpum_), an intensely hot pepper to which Cayenne is (Page 58--ed.) as cold cream;
this dish, however, which the natives call "Locro," I subsequently became very
fond of on my lonely travels northward, simply because I had no choice.
   (See previous ADS-L posts for "locro" in archives--ed.)

Pg. 210:  ...after which a dinner of hot empanadas (baked meat pies), that
the wives and relatives of the men bring in for sale and distribute to them as
they recline about the plaza, winds up the proceedings.
   (Merriam-Webster has 1922 for "empananda."  OED has 1939, from the Browns'
SOUTH AMERICAN COOKBOOK--ed.)