Coffee Royal (1868); Chupe and Chunu (1833)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 5 09:20:39 UTC 2003

COFFEE ROYAL

A LONG VACATION IN THE ARGENTINE ALPS.
OR WHERE TO SETTLE IN THE RIVER PLATE STATES
by H. C. Ross Johnson
London: Richard Bentley
1868

   OED has 1921 for "coffee royal."  The coffee-plus-alcohol combination--so
popular now, and well documented in these archives--is much earlier.

Pg. 39:  The dinner was good enoug in itself: indeed the "asado" (nearly half
a wether roasted) was very sweet, crisp, and savory.  It was served in a huge
shallow pie-dish, cut into chunks.  Then followed the "calda" (broth), in
which we soaked our hard biscuits.  The calda was served also in a huge pie-dish,
and taken Spanish or Argentine fashion, that is, each dipped his spoon into
the dish itself, including the great bearded capitaz, who messed with us; and
although I don't like the fashion, I am bound to say the soup kept hot, and
that all fairness and courtesy were observed in the dipping.  Then came the
"puchero," the _bouillion_ of the soup, with some mashed maize  and pumpkin mixed
up with it.

Pg. 50:  I felt rather stiff, but a large silver pannikin of hot "coffee
royal"-- _i. e._, coffee with brandy in it--soon made me feel full of going.

Pg. 110:  However, a biscuit and a cup of "coffee royal" made me contented
enough;...

Pg. 113:  The South Americans say "had Saint Anthony been a goucho, he never
could have withstood the temptation of asado (roast beef)."

Pg. 143:  We had a sumptuous dinner, including all the standard Spanish
dishes--caldo, asado, and those wonderful mixtures, "olla podrida,"...
   The dinner concluded with any amount of "dolces" (sweets), and every
conceivable delicacy in the way of "coffin meat," _i. e._, lobsters, oysters,
sardines, and haddocks, etc., preserved in tins.
   ("Coffin meat" is an interesting, previously unrecorded "coffin-"--ed.)

CHUPE AND CHUNU

TRAVELS IN VARIOUS PART OF PERU,
INCLUDING A YEAR'S RESIDENCE IN POTOSI
by Edmond Temple
in two volumes
Philadelphia: E. L. Carey & A. Hart
1833

   This is a little earlier for "chupe" and "chunu" (or "chuna;" OED has
1909) than I'd posted before.  I don't know what OED will have for "nursery food,"
but the "nursery filling" potato example here is interesting.

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 63:  "_Quien sabe_!" (Who knows!) rejoined he, puffing away at his segar.

Pg. 109:  The boots are very light, and in every sense "easy as a glove;"...
   (Is that as easy as pie?--ed.)

Pg. 186:  The _nursery_-(Pg. 187--ed.) _filling_ vegetable, to which Cobbett
has so great an aversion, is called, in the language of the country, _papa_;
throughout Peru it is in general use, and held in as high estimation as in
Ireland.

Pg. 187:  I must not omit mentioning a species of food made from the potato,
and called here _chunu_, which is considered a great delicacy, and was held in
estimation in the days of the Incas.  I am not certain of the exact method by
which _chunu_ is made, but the first process is to freeze the potatoes
thoroughly, then to pound them and dry them in the sun, in which state they will
keep even for years, and form a wholesome an substantial food.

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 64:  ...yet were there large silver dishes, in which were served up an
excellent (Pg. 65--ed.) _chupe_, (mutton broth) and some very good potatoes with
their jackets on.

Pg. 82:  Among the numerous dishes they burthened the table, the most
remarkable was an enormous mass of _carne con cuero_, (meat in the hide.)
   (See ADS-L archives for an earlier "carne con cuero"--ed.)