Green Monster (1962 St. Louis, 1965 Boston); No football "nine yards"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Nov 8 03:33:47 UTC 2003

PAPER OF RECORD (continued)

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 12:29:10PM -0500, Kathleen E. Miller wrote:
> I don't know if everyone in the world knows about this except me but I've
> not heard anyone mention it. It's $99.00 a year. Someone did mention
> wanting the Washington Star digitized, well here it is (at least the 1st 40
> years of it).
>
>  http://www.paperofrecord.com/Default.asp

Someone posted something about it a few weeks ago; it has
lots of Sporting News issues, or something. It looks good,
but seems to have an overwhelming proportion of small Canadian
regional papers.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED

   Gerald Cohen posted that.
   However, I'd written to someone at Paper of Record weeks before.  I let
everyone on this list know that the digitized SPORTING NEWS was coming soon.  I
posted "fan" and "southpaw" citations from the 1886 first year SPORTING NEWS
sample.
   One of my archived posts had "Paper of Record" in the subject line.  I'd
used the service to find foods such as "taco" and "chipotle" and "ancho."  I'd
used the WASHINGTON STAR to find "tenderloin" and "growler."
   NO ONE REMEMBERS ALL THIS?

GREEN MONSTER

   This continues the "green monster," using the newly available digitized
SPORTING NEWS in www.paperofrecord.com.
   It's interesting that  "green monster" was used in St.Louis before it was
used in Boston.  St. Louis got a new stadium in the 1960s.  In the fall
classic of 1967, St. Louis played Boston in the World Series.  That cemented "green
monster" for Fenway.

   23 May 1962, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 22, col. 4:
   Minnie is the latest in a long list of stars who lost bouts to the 12-foot
Busch Stadium wall known as "The Green Monster."

   6 April 1963, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 28, col. 3:
   Then in '42, St. Louisan Reiser, who had a passion for running into walls,
crumpled after hitting the wall in center, and Slaughter continued around for
an inside-the-park homer.  But for the Green Monster, Reiser could well have
become the most exciting player of his time.

   12 June 1965, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 10, col. 4:
   When sluggers of the Twins sit around and talk long ball, they always ask
what it would be like to play at Fenway Park for a whole season.
   Tony Oliva is the only lefthanded hitter in the Twins' lineup t=when they
face the 37-foot distant left field wall at Fenway.  And the Boston playground
has become their favorite outside their own Metropolitan Stadium.
   With fellows like Bob Allision, Harmon Killebrew and Earl Battey, yjr
"green monster" wall is a thing of beauty.

   21 May 1966, SPORTING NEWS, "Million Memories--They're All That's Left in
Cards' Old Park," pg. 25, col. 5:
   ...the infamous Green Monster, the wall into which Earle Combs, Minnie
Minosa, Bill White, Pete Reiser and others crashed...

   28 October 1967, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 7, col. 2:
   For Rico, at least, the wall in left field was not a "Green Monster," but
a "Jolly Green Giant."

NO FOOTBALL "NINE YARDS"

WHOLE NINE YARDS--Nothing in the SPORTING NEWS, in the football pages or any
other pages.  Nothing for "full nine yards," either.

DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN--I didn't find any earlier Yogi quotes here, but I
possibly used the wrong search terms.

LET'S PLAY TWO--I didn't find an early Ernie Banks cite for this, either.

FAT LADY SINGS--Perhaps, but not in these pages of the SPORTING NEWS.