Sport Peppers (1980, 1986)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 11 05:22:02 UTC 2003

   There are 805 Google hits for "sport peppers."  It's not in OED.  Will it be in DARE?...No trademarks for this?...I'm not mentioning the H.D.!  It's just these articles!...I'll check the Ancestry newspapers when I leave NYU.
   Continued from the last "through the garden" post.

(GOOGLE)(From various posts--ed.)
http://www.samcgees.com/webpost/d1/c3/html/247.htm?rnd=41#p00_01
  The Chicago Sport Peppers used on those famous Chicago hot dogs are distributed by a firm by the name of Chipico. There is a Luke's Restaurant in Tucson that specializes in everything Chicago, and the manager showed me the bottle (confirmed they are those right ones!). It says "Chicago Sport Peppers" with the maufacturer as Chipico. I would have gotten more info off the bottle, but the guy was looking at me like I was stealing a trade secret or something. I found "Chipico" on the web via several distributors. Hope this gets you those peppers!
(...)
Sport peppers are small, very spicy, green peppers usually packed in vinegar (occasionally in olive oil, but that's really a different product). Used widely in Chicago as a topping for hot dogs, and in some southern restaurants where the really spicy vinegar is a favorite condiment to sprinkle over greens like turnips, collards, etc. I love to add them to burritos, tostados, sloppy Joes, and just about any dish where I want to add a kick. Their flavor is quite mild so they don't detract from the underlying flavor of the food, but they do pack a punch!

I have tried for several years to find them, but the only bottle I was able to get came from Illinois. A Web search shows several possible sources for them, so I will place an order and see what I get.
(...)
Here's the contact info for Chicago Pickle Company (Chipico): 888-484-3662. You can ask them for a list of distributors in your area. They don't sell retail, so you will have to find one willing to sell. I found Merit Foods in Tucson, AZ willing to sell me 1 gallon jars via pick-up with check or cash. Ask for Bob at 520-884-8232.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.indelfoods.com/sitedocs/peppers.html
MISSISSIPPI SPORT PEPPERS Mississippi sports peppers are packed without stems, small and slender green peppers that are very firm in texture and has a medium heat level. They are used as whole peppers mainly on hot dogs and sandwiches; and sliced for jardinerias.

(GOOGLE)
http://home.gwi.net/~erictolson/practicalpantry/page28.html
    Sport peppers are hot peppers preserved in vinegar. If you can't find them, or choose not to use them, substitute chopped steamed green pepper or leave out.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.chowhound.com/midwest/boards/chicago/messages/29830.html