Minstrel's Dialect

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Tue Nov 11 15:46:30 UTC 2003

Interesting that this Southern town (in Kentucky?) would use a long 'e' in
"de," so close to presumably NS schwa-using people when Foster wrote the
song and Duane saw the show--but the cultural divide would have been great
by the '50s, of course.  I'm ashamed to say even our rural community way up
North in Minnesota had a minstrel show in the '50s (and probably before),
with blackface, a cake walk, and howls of laughter from the all-white
audience, most of whom had never seen an African American (I hadn't until a
"lyceum" show came to our high school--a serious musical group,
thankfully).  Although I don't recall pronunciation features at this long
remove, I would guess, with Matthew, that our unknowing "minstrels" also
used the long 'e'.