"hot dog"--Did Charles Feltman invent this comestible?

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Nov 11 18:00:27 UTC 2003

    This is just a request for background information on "hot dog."
Many accounts credit Charles Feltman with inventing the hot dog
(albeit not yet so called)--i.e., the frankfurter in a roll--about
1867 at Coney Island.
Is there any reliable evidence for this? The accounts I have thus far
are very much hearsay and well after the fact.
   Am I perhaps overlooking something obvious? Does anyone have access
to obituaries of Charles Feltman (reportedly died in 1910)?

Gerald Cohen