Minstrel's Dialect

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Tue Nov 11 19:31:45 UTC 2003

As an explanation for "yeller" "feller" (also "winder" and "holler"),
spelling pronunciation seems unlikely to me, considering the forms are
traditionally associated with the rural Upper South/ South Midlands -
not exactly the literacy capital of America. Of course, I mean no offense.

A clearer case is the common r-ful rendering of Joel Chandler Harris's
characters Brer Rabbit et al. It seems clear that Harris intended to
represent a schwa here; i.e. "Bruh".

Is the common (in American English) r-ful pronunciation of the Korean
name "Park" related as well? Isn't the name r-less with a central or
back vowel as "park" would be in Std. British English?