Tennis Rolls & War on Bad Manners

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 13 16:13:30 UTC 2003

   Greetings from Georgetown, Guyana.
   My BWIA flight did not crash.  My tour guide's flight was kept waiting in Trinidad for hours while BWIA searched the island for a pilot.  I will have two more BWIA chances.
   There are bars on my Tower Hotel room windows here.  I felt right back home, at work in the Bronx in the City of New York.

TENNIS ROLLS--I saw this on my tour of a local supermarket.  There are two Google Groups hits that mention the Guyana food product.  They look like "Parker House Rolls" to me.

KFC--The most popular local food product.  I couldn't get the secret recipe.

WAR ON BAD MANNERS--This "war" is sponsored by the local ministry of tourism.  Now, I understand "war."  And the "War on Poverty."  And the "War on Drugs."  But, from a sign in the center of town, "Subway, a proud sponsor of the War on Bad Manners."  Yes, as in Subway sandwich shops.  F--ing Jared.  Jesse Sheidlower (F-WORD) is probably a f--ing general.

SNACKETTES--Not just "snacks"?

COOK-UP RICED--Not just "cooked rice"?

LOCAL FRUIT JUICE  $150
FRESH FRUIT JUICE  $300
   (On the breakfast menu.  So the local stuff is not fresh?)

SALTFISH & BAKE
PEPPERPOT & BREAD
BREAKFAST BROWNS
   (Also on breakfast menu.  The first two are listed as local specialties.)

"BICO ICE CREAM" FLAVORS--seamoss, sour sop, fruit salad.

FISH--Gil Backer, Cabeo, Cuffum, Snook.