toponymic query

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 14 00:29:38 UTC 2003

At 5:49 PM -0500 11/13/03, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>Exonym, endonym--I prefer shibboleth.  But when I use this word in my
>classes, no one recognizes it.  But then, when I mentioned Kofi Annan in
>class this morning, no one recognized that name either.

These are shibboleths to be sure, but so are all those non-toponyms
out there (hoi toider, wicked vs. hella, dahtahn and needs washed,
ayuh (for Maine), a-huntin' and a-fishin', fer sher, etc. etc.).
Luckily we don't suffer the fate of the Ephaimites (or was it the
Gileadites?) if we flunk the test...

Larry