g-sting/gee-string-=who's correct?

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Nov 17 17:17:28 UTC 2003

        I think that the 1882 cite can be read to refer to the G-string as a single item of clothing consisting of both a cloth strip and a belt or string.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Clements [mailto:sclements at NEO.RR.COM]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 1:01 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: g-sting/gee-string-=who's correct?

John Baker, in addition to being quoted in the NYTimes, found a cite the
other day which lends new meaning to the gee string (1878) saga.

John's cite,
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0311B&L=ads-l&P=R3233

indicates that the 'G string' is the strip of cloth that hangs down from the
belt.

Unless I'm mistaken, the original 1878 cite, which uses 'gee string' inplies
that the term refers to the 'belt' which holds the dangling cloth strip.

So, which is it?  Someone has to be right.

SC