"-ough"--why so many pronunciations?

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Nov 17 19:49:41 UTC 2003

the short answer is that we spell something closer to Middle English and
therefore many of the sound changes that have taken place since c. 1500
aren't reflected orthographically. The 'gh' spelling reflects a former
velar/palatal fricative that was lost in some words (e.g., through) and
changed into a labio-dental in others (e.g., tough).