rocks and stones

Orin Hargraves orinkh at CARR.ORG
Wed Nov 19 17:45:29 UTC 2003

I'm fascinated by the many observations this posting has evoked. I don't know
if we've succeeded in penetrating Dolly's inner dialog (or whether that is a
Worthy Goal); the consensus view that she changed the lyric because "stones"
somehow works better seems plausible, though whether for reasons of euphony,
allusion, or correctnes, we may never know.

I do cleave to the notion of a rock/stone dialect split, which (as Luanne
pointed out) is recognized in DARE; I know that I occasionally get a rock in
my shoe, but I've met people who only ever get stones.

Orin