rocks and stones

Gwyn Alcock alcockg at SRICRM.COM
Wed Nov 19 18:00:50 UTC 2003

"...consensus view..." "...we may never know."

What happened to just asking her? She might find it amusing that the ADS
list noticed.

Gwyn Alcock

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Orin Hargraves
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 9:45 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: rocks and stones

I'm fascinated by the many observations this posting has evoked. I don't
know
if we've succeeded in penetrating Dolly's inner dialog (or whether that is a
Worthy Goal); the consensus view that she changed the lyric because "stones"
somehow works better seems plausible, though whether for reasons of euphony,
allusion, or correctnes, we may never know.
<snip>