rocks and stones

Barnhart barnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Wed Nov 19 21:33:16 UTC 2003

Dear me, I haven't been following this one for a number of reasons and I
haven't got the time to go through everything that's been written in this
thread.

As I recall from geology class, rocks are mixtures of minerals hence
"rocks and minerals".  Stones were undifferentiated rocks.

I can say that there's a stone in my shoe.  But, I think I'd be more
likely to say there's a rock in my shoe (or maybe a pebble).

There is in Hyde Park (NY) a stone wall restoration project.  But I can
say either rock wall or stone wall.  I think the latter is my preference.

I can skip stones or rocks.  But I think I'd be inclined to say stones.

I'd say stone barge not rock barge.  I'd say rock quarry before stone
quarry.

And, finally, stone's throw is a set phrase.  I would be surprised to find
"rock's throw."

More later.  By the way, is anyone keepting tabs on these?

Regards,
David Barnhart